Friday, March 15, 2019

Group Meeting 2.0

So today we had the second group meeting so far, and again it was a pretty successful one. I was put in a different group than before, which made me hear from other projects, genres and perspectives. We all started by sharing the plots of our stories and highlighting the strongest and weakest parts of them. For example, one of the members in my group wanted to make a romantic introduction of a Hispanic couple. It was mainly a great idea, but she wanted the dialogue to be in Spanish so she was going to add subtitles to it. We suggested her that either she kept the dialogue to the minimum while being able to understand what is happening or just speak in English while maintaining Hispanic culture and aspects in the characters. Great feedback was given and a lot of new ideas on how to end the introduction were given, which was good because its hard to know when to stop the intro. We figured that it wasn't good to end it with the film's title as it made it look more of a trailer. Instead, its better to keep recording after the title and stop when a new scene starts.

I asked my group three specific questions:
1) How to portray that the father is a software engineer without explicitly stating it?
2) How to portray that the father died recently?
3) Whether I should show the mom and dad before the incident.

With the help of my group we figures that maybe some kind of memorial inside the house with a photograph of the dad next to some flowers and some candles would work as a way of implicitly showing that the dad died. We figured that maybe by showing some shots of different diplomas and scientific awards the audience would know that the dad was a software engineer or something similar. Finally, some in my group recommended me to show the dad and mom before the accident, and show Tommy in the funeral, which meant going to the cemetery, but I think that would take up too much time of the 2-minutes and would also be hard to record (more actors for the funeral and having to go to a random tomb, no thanks). Instead I'll focus on the latter part of the plot where the boy interacts with ADAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment